Junctions are the most dangerous part of a cycling journey and campaigning to make them safe and cycle friendly is one of our core activities. You can tell us directly about junctions you have bad (or good) experiences with or create an issue on cyclescape which we monitor regularly and use when talking to councillors.
Below are some critical Lewisham junctions that we have been campaigning on:
- Catford Gyratory – the Lewisham Mayor announced in 2017 that this gyratory is going to be removed and the South Circular re-routed south of Laurence House to a new junction with the A21 Bromley Rd. LC are actively involved in discussions with the Catford Masterplanners to ensure the new road infrastructure provides protected space for cyclists.
- Other ‘gyratorys’ e.g. Bell Green, New Cross. We believe these gyratorys should be removed and will continue to campaign for that.
- Deptford Bridge
- Lewisham Gateway: Jan 2014 ; Oct 2015 ; Nov 2016 ; Dec 2016; Oct 2018
- Deals Gateway (see below). Although this junction has now been rectified with a separate traffic light phase for Deal’s Gateway it is a salutary lesson as to how dangerous junctions can be if badly designed.
- Trundley’s Road junction improvements (see Quietways)